Blogging My Way To China!

Enjoy my blog as our family prepares for the arrival of our third child, Nevin Yumeng, from Baotou, Inner Mongolia in the People's Republic of China.



There are 145 million orphans in our world....





Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

GOTCHA!!!!

Believe it or not, last night was a good night's sleep for both of us.  I felt well rested and nearly adjusted to the jet lag. We made our way down for a lovely breakfast buffet-- a perfect blend of western favs and Chinese/Mongolian cuisines.  After breakfast, we headed to our room to pack a diaper bag and bottle in preparation for our son's arrival. Early. Tick. Tick Tick. One of my Mother's favourite says, "Hurry up and wait."

Our guide came to meet us, and there we sat in the lobby and watched the busy street of Hohhot rush by.  A miracle that no one was hit by a car, really. Medians are merely an option.

After two hours of intense waiting, our guide received a call that the babies had arrived at the Shangrila  Hotel-- the same hotel we had met our American friends the night prior.  There had been a traffic jam in the city centre and the babies been delayed.  We dashed out and caught a cab and headed straight for the Hotel.

As we walked in the door, hands sweaty and butterflies gone wild,  David and I could hear the babies crying. They were now in the arms of their new parents, scared and exhausted from the long drive from Baotou. As David and I tried to see through the welling tears in our eyes, one of the Nannies turned around with Nevin.  He was confused, and alarmed by all the other babies, not knowing what to expect.  They handed him to me after I brought him the tiger his Auntie Kelley and Uncle Brian bought for him. I took him from the Nanny.  He was very upset and it completely broke my heart.  I managed to sit down with him and make some eye contact and he continued to cry. I let him cry for a bit and offered him his bottle.  He took it from me and did not push me away.  I assume the babies were very hungry and thirsty.  He started to calm down and after about 30 minutes he quieted down and began to give in to me.  He was just too tired to fight.  Nevin let out some big sighs and each time he did, he sank deeper into my arms and chest. He was hot with three layers of clothing on...

By the time we had finished our paper work, he was exhausted, but calm.  We got into the cab (no seat belts, no car seats) and with a little help from a guardian angel, we made it safely to the hotel.  He slept for nearly 4 hours.

While Nevin was napping, I headed out with our guide to made a bank transaction to give to the orphanage for tomorrow.  It was a horrible excursion in the sense we couldn't find a bank easily that cashed American Express Travellers Cheques!  After four banks, and five insane, white knuckle cab rides later, and a bit of hiking through some side streets of Inner Mongolia, I made it back to the hotel room in time for Nevin to wake up. I must admit to feeling extremely vulnerable-- walking the back streets of Hohhot with a guide that I really didn't know, with a large amount of cash. My advice to anyone is to cash those cheques at the airport if you can.  I remember saying that to David, but he suggested there must be banks we can cash them in at.

When Nevin awoke,  he weepy at first, and a bit apprehensive. But again,  let me have control of his bottle and allowed me to feed him.  It is a good sign that he is attaching in some form to us already.  I made him some fruit and rice cereal, and again, allowed me to feed him.  We went down to the dining room and had dinner.  He really had some good bonding time with both of us, and actually reached for Mummy several times during our first day of bonding.  The picture of me on the floor with his cheek stuck to mine was something he did.  He really wanted to cuddle me and leaned into my face. It made for a tender moment.

The evening continued  remarkably well and I braved the notion of trying to bath him.  When we undressed him completely we noticed a large bruise on his left buttock and some discolouring on his lower lumbar.  We made note of it and notified our director of the adoption program just for documentation.  We wanted to be sure someone made note of it in case there was some question during the immigration medical before we leave for home. As it turned out, it was a Mongolian birth mark-- very common.

Our hotel maid left a large baby tub in our room and Nevin just loved it!  He splashed and giggled, and enjoyed the stacking cups we tossed into the water.  He played a good 45 minutes with his Daddy, making a good start for attachment.  It was a pleasant surprise to see him eating and drinking, and enjoying our company.

Before his bedtime we were able to Skype some of our family as it was 9:15pm here and 9:15am in Canada.  I didn't get the chance to see my son who was at school already, but got to see my daughter.  It broke my heart to hear her telling me she needed me, but I diverted her attention to her little brother and she managed to throw him some kisses.

I forgot to mention that Nevin is over 30 lbs!  He is so heavy and solid.  David figures he'll be the first Inner Mongolian to play defense in the NHL.  I brought half 12 month clothing and half 18 month clothing.  Its pretty much a given that his 12 month clothing may be donated to the orphanage.

Just before I put him down I fed him a bottle- half formula half Hohhot dairy milk. He had about half and looked like he was ready for bed.  So around 10pm I put him in his crib without much of a fuss.  I stood at his crib, giving him comfort and reassurance, rubbing his back and head, and he fell asleep holding on to his little blue puppy that Heather picked out for his care pack we sent in June.

Tomorrow we are heading to the Shangrila Hotel to do paperwork and notary public documents. I am hoping we get a chance to head to the big shopping centre to get a stroller!  I have a peanut shell carrier that Nevin loves being in, but, oh my aching back, that boy is heavy!

10 more days and we'll be on our way home!  We miss Heather and Dylan terribly.

2 comments:

Stacy and Jason said...

Oh my goodness! AMAZING! Thank you soooo for sharing! I love all of the pictures. Nevin is a darling. I bet you guys must be on cloud 9. Congrats to you both.

ourchinagirls said...

As you have probably already found out, those "bruises" on his bottom are actually called Mongolian spots. Most all Asian babies have them and they will fade as they get older.

You have a very handsome boy!