Blogging My Way To China!

Enjoy my blog as our family prepares for the arrival of our third child, Nevin Yumeng, from Baotou, Inner Mongolia in the People's Republic of China.



There are 145 million orphans in our world....





Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Prediction for October Gottcha Day

Let me begin this post with a little side note.  In March of this year, China has changed the way it processes adoption through the Waiting Children Program.  In short, this method is supposed to be faster with quicker process times. Having said that, and because we are the among the first three families to matched using this new system, the exact time lines were still unknown when we received Nevin's referral.  The other two families were matched the month previous to us.

With all that being said, it looks like we will be going to China in October (missing the first week as China basically closes up for Moon and Harvest Festival for a week).  Even though its only two and a half months away, it means that Nevin has to stay in an institutional setting for another two and a half months.  HUFF!  My fellow adoptive parents can certainly identify with the excruciating wait.

So in the meantime, I've been slowly crossing things off the list. Shopping for the things we will need, appointments with the travel clinic so that David and I are vaccinated, researching Baotou and Hohhot (which are hardly Westernized like Beijing), finding out where the pearl and silk markets are.... Which leads me to ask if anyone knows where I can buy those individual coffee bags-- they're like tea bags but have coffee in them.  I've searched the grocers here in Midland, Ontario and no one is carrying them anymore.  I know there is a Starbucks in Beijing, but I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Starbucks.  Worst case scenario, I can pack some instant coffee, but would prefer the bag idea, just for packing sake.

And of coarse my weird dreams are still happening. I dreamed we were boarding the plane to head to China and I realized I left EVERYTHING I packed for Nevin at home on my bed.  (again, cue the twitch and wake up panicked). I guess it will be here soon enough.....packing the week before, saying goodbye to the kids (oh god), and driving down to the airport with my heart in my throat.

So hopefully, in the next few weeks, I can post that we have indeed received our Letter Seeking Confirmation, after which our agency will book our travel.  Any families to travel in October, I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Christy and Kevin said...

I so hoped you would get your Travel at the same time we do so we would be traveling at the same time. We are waiting on our Travel Approval any day and once we get it usually you only have approximately 2 weeks to fly out. Hope you same our new pics to see if Nevin was in any of them. One picture looks like it could be part of Nevin's face. Hard to tell. I sent a care package and got new pictures and sizes for Keaton. Best money I have spent while waiting. Hope you hear something soon. I will email with any updates we get also.

Christy and Kevin said...

I meant saw not same the pictures. Just in case you don't have our blog address handy to see the pics.

http://ourjourneytokeaton.blogspot.com