Blogging My Way To China!

Enjoy my blog as our family prepares for the arrival of our third child, Nevin Yumeng, from Baotou, Inner Mongolia in the People's Republic of China.



There are 145 million orphans in our world....





Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fireworks and Family

Despite the children completely avoiding their naps, we managed to avoid any remarkable melt downs our tantrums. After a quick bite to eat, I bathed the kids and dressed them in their pjs, with warm jackets and hats, as it was supposed to be very cool evening. Equipped with blankets, flashlights, bug spray for just in case, iPhone that I'm still learning to use, we headed back to Little Lake at just about the time the kids normally head to bed. I was pleasantly surprised they did not fall asleep on the way into town.


We met my brother, sister in law and niece, and parked our blankets in the perfect spot-- near the slides and perfect view for fireworks. My brother bought the kids glow sticks, which they loved, and my children entertained every child for a 20 meter radius with their battery operated, light up the night, laser bubble stun guns. These were awesome and made at least 100 bubbles every time the trigger was pulled.

When the sun went down, it was iffy there for a minute whether the kids would be awake, or have a melt down from the noise. This was their FIRST fireworks show.

I think I missed nearly the entire beginning, as I watched their beautiful little faces light up from the fireworks, and watched their smiles grow, and hands over their ears. It was a little long for them, and Heather struggled to stay awake.

At the end, droves of people emptied the park like cattle, and Dylan cried the entire walk back to the car, wanting to stay at the park and play in the dark and watch more fireworks. Needless to say, they both fell fast asleep about five minutes down the road.

It was indeed an exhausting day, and only when I collapsed on my bed that night, did I realize I hurt from my shoulders down to the ends of all my toes. But it was a great family day, one I'm unsure the kids will remember, except through pictures. But it is one of many Canada Days that will be locked away in the memory books for years to come.

No comments: