Blogging My Way To China!

Enjoy my blog as our family prepares for the arrival of our third child, Nevin Yumeng, from Baotou, Inner Mongolia in the People's Republic of China.



There are 145 million orphans in our world....





Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Call

Over seven years ago, David and I met with friends who adopted a daughter from China. From that moment on, I had always known in my heart we would adopt at some point in our lives. After being blessed with two beautiful birth children, Dylan and Heather, we decided it was time to pursue adoption. We discovered the Special Needs program in China, and knew it was the program for our family. Both David and I are from medical backgrounds, and we were very comfortable adopting a child with special needs. I might add that Special Needs in China can vary from a heart murmur to needs that are far more extensive.

Now fast forward to Tuesday night when I was headed off to bed, dreading that the next morning.  I would be packing my children in the car at 6am to drop my daughter off at Grandad's, and whisking my four year old son to the hospital for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy for 6:45. Having a difficult time sleeping, I was ready to try one more time to will myself to sleep when the phone rang. I squinted to see the call display and there it was! My agency's name!  I must've flown from the mattress and glided midair to grab the phone. There could be only one reason that our agency would call this late at night.

And so today, we honoured the first birthday of our new son, born May 23, 2009. Our entire family came to enjoy a nice luncheon, and I baked a panda bear cake, and we all sang Happy Birthday to Nevin Yumeng Campbell. My children, Dylan and Heather blew out his candle. Although half a world away, we celebrated Nevin's first birthday. The only birthday he will have without us.

Our son is waiting in Baotou, Inner Mongolia in the People's Republic of China.

No comments: